In this activity you will explore the kinds of geotagged information that are available in Google Maps. Go to http://maps.google.com/ and set the map view to Satellite as before. You can zoom in and out by changing the setting of the slider. You can also move the map by clicking anywhere on it and dragging it in the direction you want. Use these features to position the map so that you can see the whole of the British Isles.
Google Maps allows you to select different types of geotagged information from the menu of further options, which is usually accessed in the form of a drop-down list located at the top right of the map.
- What are the different types of information that can be added to a Google map?
- Select the Photos option from the menu. How does the map display change?
1. Google maps can overlay the following:
- Geographic data.
- Geotagged images.
- satellite imaging.
- You can also use it to draw various travel routes between different locations.
2. When you turn on the photos options then photographs that have been added by users are shown as thumbnails on top of the map data which expand into full-sized images when clicked.